Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas 1966 and beyond


1966

It’s Christmas Eve put the computer away, is what she said to me. But I have friends out there waiting to hear from me. Well wait until later before you go to bed, perhaps you’ll listen to the bells on Santa’s sled. I’ve got to send greetings to those who follow me, this is one day I just can’t let pass. Well right now we’ve got to get ready and, get to Mass, there is someone more important to who we must thank, and before church, we need gas in the tank. So I log off the keys and clean up my act. If we don’t hurry, we’ll stand in the back.

We fill up the tank and drive to the church, I’m driving too fast and we stop with a lurch. We’re greeted by the Priest with a skeptical stare, I’m thinking he saw us, speeding in there. We find us a seat and just settle in, as the priest and the Alter Boy’s march does begin.

The opening prayer is on Christmas and the birth of Christ, it’s the season of Joy and, everyone’s so nice. The theme of the Homily is to go forth and be kind, I turn to the wife and just start to smile, I’ve been kind to the woman for quite a while. Fifty-three years together are we, I shut my eyes and our first Christmas Mass together I see. 


It was 1966 in New Jersey, a cold winter’s night when the two of us walked through thunder and snow. It was 8/10 of a mile to the church, the wind gusts were blowing 25 knots or so. There was something so special with everything white, I remember that walk like it was this Holy Night.

Back at my grandmothers home after Mass, we were offered Mogen David wine, in a fancy cut glass. Joining us there were Aunt Maude and Uncle Jim. When I was little, every time they would depart, he would give me a dime. Those memories way back to a long-ago time, bring heartfelt joy and, I remember the Homily, Be Kind!        theRooster  2018

Remembering

That first Christmas Mass together was attended at Holy Maternity Catholic church in Audubon, NJ. We walked the 8/10 of a mile from my grandmother's house at W. Pine and 4th Ave. You can check the weather at the Wunderground site below. Twas, not a night fit for man or beast, but we were young and what the hell. 
Image result for heavy snow

There are many great memories of Christmas with our families. While living in Connecticut, we would have Christmas Day at home and then in a day or two drive to New Jersey and Delaware to celebrate with our respective families there. This, of course, was a grand time for the kids when they were young. Santa seemed to always leave a few out of state gifts for our three, what a treat.

An excellent remembrance for me was a Christmas Eve I had to work many years ago. I was a young State Trooper and my assignment on this eve was I-84 between Rt. 32 and the Massachusetts State Line. It was called the Upper Patrol. On this night I exchanged my big grey Stetson for a red floppy Santa’s hat, big white tassel on end and all. 

                       







If my memory serves me correctly, it was a relatively quiet evening. I would make a few stops, give some verbal warnings and, hand out candy canes to those I came in contact with and wish them a Merry Christmas and ask them to please drive safely. After the shift was over, I’d enter our home quietly, me lady was waiting up, and we would have a bit of quiet time and last minute wrapping together. Those were the days my friends.

Image result for bear mt bridge
Crossing the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River

This past week saw us journey North to CT to visit our son and his family.  It was only a three-day visit, but it was grand to be with those who are near and dear to our hearts. We had a meal at our favorite haunt when in Tolland, Camille’s. I got to spend a few hours with an old member of the Thin Blue Line, #467. We drank coffee at Duncan Donut’s and told war stories. I spent time with a brother-in-law and talk clocks and wine racks.

Image result for 202 diner cortlandt ny
A great stopping point for lunch on the way to CT.

Yes, Christmas time is great for bringing us together. I thank the good Lord for giving me and mine good health to travel and the ability to wish all of you who take a gander at the Blog from time to time a very Merry Christmas from our house to yours.

As I close, remember the theme from the Homily at Mass, BE KIND!


The weather on 24 December 1966 in the greater Philadelphia area.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/pa/philadelphia/KPHL/date/1966-12-24

Don't forget to check on the elderly.





No comments: