Saturday, February 21, 2015

February 21, 2015

Where In The World is JB?

JB got into Dulles late this past Monday as the snow was starting to come down. He spent the night in DC and drove home on Tuesday blazing trails through the new fallen snow. On Tuesday evening he hosted the entire family at Sobos, a restaurant in Salisbury, MD. The reason for the dinner, Kathryn's Birthday, We had a wonderful evening of fine dining and Jeff's story telling of three weeks in Pakistan. A trip from Islamabad to Peshawar in a motor convoy between the two shall not be in my travel itinerary any time soon. If you bump into him any time soon, let him tell you how his employer gets you from point A to point B over there. Just wait until you hear where the next Port of Call is. Tune in next week for the continued adventures of "JB," only this time with the Mrs. Ooh Rah !

Where In The States Are M.F. and K.F.

The girls arrived back at BWI on time. Snow, Ice and hazardous driving conditions prevailed while leaving OKC. They arrived back in the Bury just as the snow started falling. We all met at Sara's condo on the Frozen Wicomico for a scrumptious Roast Beef dinner. A great time with all, once again listening to stories of Sam and family. One quite interesting story surrounded the Lock Down of Tinker AFB, the evacuation of the Commissary while the girls were shopping. The incident led to the girls being led out of the store as it emptied into the parking lot just as a flight of F-16 were taking off with other aircraft. For 2 hours all the shoppers were sequestered in the parking lot on a gorgeous 80 degree day. Staff brought H2O to the shoppers as Grannie and Great Grannie had fun chasing Mia about the parking lot. Oh the joy of two year olds. M. A. now home in the cold of the Middle Atlantic States. Kathryn, on the road again, stay tuned. You'll all be envious when you find out in the next edition.

Pics of the girls, Mia and Ana.


AKA "G" getting some Grannie time.
Grannie and Mia on a bad hair day.

Mia being a good eater.



Ana finished her bottle.

After the bathtub.

 

So What's Going With The Weather

 

I'm sure we all awoke with a what the heck is going on with this weather if you'r anywhere in the Northeast these past few days. The Washington Post pretty well captured all the record lows in the below article. It looks like above freezing for Sunday and right back to freezing once again. Damn Groundhog.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/20/120-year-old-record-low-broken-in-d-c-one-of-many-today-and-in-the-past-week/

 

What ISIS Really Wants

Image result for isis flag

The White House says religion not involved. Click on "What ISIS Really Wants" and you be the judge. "The Atlantic" is just one of my many reads each week. The author, Graeme Woods has a lengthy background reporting on the Middle East.

 

A Close Shave

My shaving station.

Several editions back I mentioned a Christmas gift from my son Matthew who resides in snow covered Connecticut. I could not help but think back to times long past when I read the section on shaving.  "The Art Of Manliness" is a must read for every man who recently honored his favorite lady with a Valentine. For those of you still trying to find that lady,it's even more important to read it. Perhaps you could learn some tricks of the trade, so to speak. Available on Amazon Prime for $12.68.
I do remember the first time I shaved, I was 15 years old and was living in Wildwood Crest, NJ. There was a dance coming up at the local Yacht Club and I had a date. Some hair was growing on my cheeks, not a lot mind you, but hair no less. Off I went with money earned from gathering Conk shells after storms to the closest Pharmacy. No CVS  or Rite Aid back in that day. The stores usually carried the name of the Owner/Pharmacist or perhaps the geographic location. 
That first Razor., a double edge Gillette with a pack of Blue blade.

When it came time for the shaving cream the lady behind the counter handed me a can of Burma Shave. For years whenever traveling in a car I loved reading the signs of Burma Shave along the road. They were usually placed some distance apart and you could just anticipate what the next one would be. Yes, you could say I'm a bit nostalgic.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d7/e1/23/d7e123ec3e39b3083b707973ebe290cb.jpg 1951 George Mikan basketball star print ad vintage decor Gillette Blue Blades shavingVintage Gillette Gift Set Advertisement 1950s
 For those us who have ever been traveling down I-95 to Florida, we can all reminisce about Pedro and his "South of the Border" signs. When we traveled south from Connecticut I remember seeing the first sign in Virginia just south of Washington, DC. The kids always wanted to stop and buy the Mexican Jumping Beans. As for me and my gas pedal, just keep on going.
 

Getting back to my new razor, I bought a set from the German manufacturer Merkur about a month ago and am quite pleased with my purchase. There are some very expensive single edge razors out there. I pretty much purchased a no frills model. If I continue to like it and don't slit my throat I may step up to a spiffier mode. I also must add that Mary Agnes gives me that cheek to cheek rub, just to check my "Art of Manliness." She can tell when I'm lazy and use the Electric Razor, she's not a fan of that means any longer.

Matt and Beth on Valentine Eve. Obviously not a reader on The Art of Manliness.

Cody Fiddler, now he is really in need of a shave, but ready for the Connecticut cold.
It would be four short years after that first shave when I would gain an entirely new perspective on "The Art of Manliness." That experience would come at Parris Island, SC, courtesy of the United States Marine Corps. We shaved very close to the skin back in those days. Styptic pencils were commonplace in each Marine's Toilet Kit.
Making sure you knew what a Razor and Shaving Cream were. Those were the days my friends.



Winter North and South 

 


 



 The Fiddlers back and front yards, Tolland, CT.




God Bless Mary Agnes and Fred Moore for getting rid of the snow. Every aging man needs a strong women and Farmers for friends when it snows in Back Country, Wicomico County, MD

A Walk To The Yacht Club

On Thursday morning with the wind blowing 20 knots and the Thermometer reading 15f I drove partway
 to the Wicomico Yacht Club to see for myself what winter had brought on this day. We had another inch of
snow added to the 8" we got on Monday. Yeh, Yeh Yeh, I hear you people up there in New England.
We are south of the "Mason Dixon Line," we do not need this kind of weather. I left New England 26 years ago
 to get away from this type of physical and mental abuse. Been there, done that, don't want to do it no more.

Stay warm, stay safe and I'll chat with you next time around.


http://b.static.trunity.net/files/225501_225600/225577/blizzard.jpg

















No comments: