Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Deer on the Move

A Typical Morning
Friday, 10/10/2014

Fridays, oh how I love Fridays, I get to sleep in.  The little women gets to sleep in and that makes all things great. My resident Gym Rat has no class on Fridays. So, she is not up early with the TV going and that wonderful, "get out of bed and drink me," coffee aroma wafting from the kitchen.

As I’ve previously mentioned, I’m a house sitter. This morning Maggie and I would head over the 2.5 mile ride to my present assignment just as the sun rises. Our route is over a very rural road in Wicomico County, MD. We pass several houses, one very large farm whose fields are in a state of reaping at the moment, it’s an autumn thing on the Eastern Shore. This particular field had a beautiful crop of Sorghum growing in it this year.
A combine at work.



Sourghum












It is to one’s advantage to drive reasonably slow on these roads due to the wildlife frequently encountered. This morning’s trip was no exception to that rule. Squirrels are a dime a dozen. Seldom do I not see a White Tail Deer. Fox, Raccoon and Opossum are frequently encountered. Groundhogs have made a comeback in recent years. Mice and frogs roll the dice by running in vehicles paths with great frequency. The crunching of these critters beneath the tires is disconcerting to this writer.  Turkey are becoming more often a regularity. This morning such was the case. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/wildturk/index.asp


Previously planted Wheat growing among the
 Soy Bean crop.


Once I arrived at my destination there were three deer standing dangerously close to the Kale growing in the garden. One slam of a car door sent them out and away from their Vegetarian ways.





With Thanksgiving right around the corner, they best head for cover.


 Prior to the Rafter of Turkeys, I spotted two Deer dashing over a trail through a wooded area.








I should have kept going with Florence. I hope I'm not in season yet.














After checking on the house, feeding the two cats and putting them out for the day, Maggie and I usually go for a walk. The cats are well on their respective journeys by the time Maggie wanders about.  On this occasion Maggie did a little mudding and the picture is proof positive of her joyous romp. Now Kathy knows how her floor got so dirty.

Guilty










Happy Birthday Tommy Palmer

                                              
Tommy celebrated his fifteenth birthday last week. With him in this photo are two of his best friends, Phillip and Kelsey.  Tommy will be off to China for a week long school trip on October 24'th.

What the Eastern Shore is made of.


I have an old friend of 25 years that I contacted and asked to share a recent Facebook post. He gave me his permission and I shall share. His name is Joseph Lappin.

I first met Joe Lappin at the Red Roost, where he had an art studio above the restaurant.
Joe had the ability to capture what the eye saw with his art work. Mary Agnes and I still have one of his originals hanging in our bedroom.  I’ll share it here one day, but I will tell you it is a window, and a captivating window at that.

Joe decided at some point that he needed a regular paying job to meet his needs.  I was working at the local hospital at the time and was able to arrange an interview for the aspiring Rembrandt. All Joe needed was to walk through the door, turn on his charm and smile and the man had a job. Joe’s interpersonal skills kept him in that job for a number of years. He even met his wife Sia at the hospital. Do you think, perhaps there’s some Cupid in me? The two of them are a wonderful couple, have three beautiful children and set an example in parenting to emulate.

Joe's love for the outdoors would lead him out of the hospital to the great outdoors as a Landscaper for a number of years. However, there was a deeper love in the man to hunt fish and be with nature. Most recently Joe has become part of the Maryland Eastern Shore tradition, a Waterman. In season you can find Joe Crabbing and tonging for Oysters on his boat. When not in school you can also find his daughter Rebecca and sons Daegan and Jacob alongside him, working as the boat’s Mate. They are a special family who I don’t get to see often but who will always have a place in my heart.

I find it kind of appropriate that Joe married a Greek and became a Waterman. I moved to the Eastern Shore many years ago from New England. New England has a long tradition of Greek fisherman from seafaring towns named Gloucester, Fall River and New Bedford to name a few. Joe of course is a shallow water sailor and the New Englanders were deep water sailors. It is the lore of the sea and the great outdoors that calls them to their trade. Mary Agnes and I were married in Fall River many years ago, another bit of a bond with Joe and family.

A few days back Joe had, what was to me a captivating post on Facebook. Here is that post and a few of Joe’s photos to go along with it. Thanks Joe for allowing me to share.
  

Facebook Post of Joe Lappin


As my days started early before the sun,  I understand what my Heavenly Father does for me . This summer little things became more evident . I have taught myself to let go of the wheel and guide instead drive . As my efforts started out empty. Faith began to fill my baskets and My little angles helped me along the way . My faith became their confidence . And even when storms arrive a new compass course can be set but the direction remains the same . Physical strength and determination are helpful. And riding home in the dark always ends in peace knowing you have your blessings . Thank you Lord for working with me . I am finally starting to understand. Peace to all my Facebook friends and see you next crabbing season and thank you for your support . The Lappins

Joe and Jacob

Rebecca the Mate


Nice days work
Daegan smiling like a pirate.  




No comments: