Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An old friend.



Well, this morning ended my Cat and House sitting. Not that I do, but I haven't had the opportunity to sleep in since Sept.22. I was laying there in bed this morning thinking,(encouraging thought), God, would I love to sleep in. But, no rain, it wasn't cool , so up I got.

I've been in a pickum for a 6 pack Football Pool with Jeff this year. A 5 week, 5 week, 6 week contest. Best throughout the season wins a case. Jeff had 5 more wins than I during the first session and selected a 6 pack of Sam Adams October Fest. I'm one game up for session two. The attached picture is Jeff, kneeling with his Western Maryland riding buddies on Sea Gull Century weekend.

Now let me tell you about the guy with the glasses. His name is Dan McGarigle. Click on the pics and they will enlarge. Dan and I go back to 1958, now that is a long time. Dan & I graduated from Levittown HS in NJ back in 1962. Levittown is now Willinboro, just across the river from Philadelphia, PA.

Just this week, Monday in fact, I spoke with Dan, he now resides in El-Segundo, CA. Dan is retired, runs a little specialty woodworking shop out of his garage and puts in time with his computer. Having been a mean drummer in the past, Dan still frequents a Jazz club now and then for entertainment.

Forty Three years ago, Dan, his girlfriend at the time and Granny and I eloped to Fall River, MA and tied the knot. Dan and his wife had two kids, Kim and Dan. Kim now resides in TN and Dan in OR. Unfortunately as all too often happens, Dan's marriage did not last and he is now single. Our friendship has remained through the thick and thin.

Dan did attend my two daughters weddings and for many a year visited us here in Maryland. Dan was also at my son's graduation from Boot Camp in Parris Island, SC in 1988. He had front row placement with his video camera because of an official CNN Logo sticker on the camera. Fortunately for Dan, no one asked for a press pass.

When first in the Military, 1962, me at Marine Barracks 8'th & I and Dan at Field Music School in Annocostia for the Navy we saw a lot of each other. Eventually Dan went off to Newport, RI, WestPac on the OK City and eventually got out of the Navy in 66.

Dan was one of the original computer Gurus. He worked in finance for a while, reservation for Airlines and Amtrac and even did some online buying site stuff, for Sears.

Once he retired Dan went to PA for a while and then off to California once again, after having lived in the San Francisco area previously.

At any rate, we're still good friends, keep in touch via computer and land line and hopefully will see one another some time in the future. Just wanted to share a long time friendship with you all.

No comments: