Monday, August 11, 2008

Elizabeth Marie Baptism





Well it's been a few days once again since I've been here. Friday through Sunday were really busy. Friday was the arrival of Hubertus, he and his two brothers own the farm I manage. The brothers are Thomas and Christoph and I have yet to meet either. Seems back in eighty five when they were all here and purchased the farm, they were unfamiliar with the Black or May Fly situation that we have here on the Eastern Shore. So as I've heard it, one or the other, or both brothers arrived with their wives in late May or early June for their holiday. They have yet to return. Apparently during their visit the annual hatching of Flys took place and if you've ever experienced it, 'It aint pretty. Hubertus, being the oldest and much wiser has almost always come in August and early September, thus no flys and a great vacation.

My day Friday was a day to forget. I arrived at the farm early to begin a list of many to dos. Friday was dump day and when I arrived to collect the trash from the previous night's cleaning by Kathy, Sarah and Della I found a water stream coming from under the old fridg. It had been on borrowed time for the last year or two, but this time the last breath had been taken. Everything in the freezer had thawed and the other foods were actually warm. I guess that happens in 90 deg. weather.

When I first opened the freezer there was a distinct oder. "Hmmm what is that smell" I asked myself. As I worked my way from top to bottom, throwing everything in a double wrapped plastic bag the smell got more prominent. When I hit bottom, there it was, a cardboard box of thawed, warm black inked Squid!!!!! It was enough to take your breath away. I gathered up all the trash for the farm and made my weekly, soon to be bi-weekly with the Germans aboard, trip to the dump.

The bag I filled with all the thawed food and Squid was a bit heavy. I'm not the best lifter any longer after numerous surgeries. As I attempt to throw the bag onto the truck, it hits the corner of the tailgate, splits open and regurgitates its liquid contents from my waist down my right leg. Not nice, right? Now I have to go to the tenant house and get their trash. "De ja voux all over again" as Yogi Berra says. I pick up the first bag to put in the truck, it splits wide open and the rotted fruit, 90 degrees remember, goes all down the front of me. It even had thousands of those little white wiggly things in it(maggots).

It's off to the dump, stinking like you can't imagine. I get rid of the load and immediately head home. Out in the backyard, hidden as best I can, I strip and take a hose shower. Ever take a feel of the water coming out of the hose when it's, you guessed it, 90 degrees. So after a minute or two it was a cold shower and hopes that the next door neighbor didn't happen by. I went back into the house after hosing the clothes and took a real shower and changed into something fresh.

Ok, so now I've got Hubert arriving at 20131 hrs., his daughter Isabel and her friend Monte arriving soon after Hubert from new York and no Fridg. Off to town I go, making multiple stops for a new purchase and delivery, TODAY. No luck. In our Annex, sometimes referred to as a garage is a one year old Fridg. I'll empty and take it to the farm! I call Jeff, request his help and he volunteers and we meet at the Annex. We empty, clean, remove the doors and drawers and load the Fridg in my truck. Slam, Bam, thank you Mam the Fridg is up and running and the important stuff, Beer, is back in chilling. We take the old one apart and put it in the barn. I'm impressed, all in 45 minutes. Thank you Jeff, your the Man.

The next three hours were spent Bush Hogging the perimeter of the farm. Just prior to finishing I came upon a tree that had blown over and had to make a U turn. In making the turn I hit the rotted trunk of the tree and immediately was lit upon by a squadron of Hornets. After seven bites on my arm I was able to exit the area of assault. Could anything else happen? O course.

After the mowing was completed I had one remaining task, replace a clogged filter in one apartments AC. As I pu my hand on the rail to walk up the stairs to the apartment I was immediately nailed on my fingers by several bees. Once again I was doing a great dance and uttering words I wanted no child to hear.

The ride to the airport was uneventful. Hubertus arrived only a few minutes late and to top it all, his bags were with him. A first for US Air. So ends Friday.

On Sunday we were in Lewes and Rehoboth Beach Delaware for the Baptism and birthday party for Kate and Ron's daughter Elizabeth Marie (Beth). The child was turning two. If Mommy were alive she would have said "about time you got the Pagan Baby baptized".

The ceremony in the church took place after the mornings 1030 Mass at St. Anne"s in Rehoboth Beach. After all the people exited we began to move forward. There were to be two baptisms this day. All Beth's family and friends had congregated on the right. The other family was on the left. For what ever reason we were asked to switch sides. Perhaps an alphabetical thing, I do not know. Ok, now to begin, not. The God Parents of the other child were not there. The Deacon who was to perform the ceremony went on and on about how he liked children, had been doing this for 24 years, 14 at St. Anne's, Etc, Etc, Etc. Finally we were about to begin and so was God. A mighty Thunder, Lightning and Rain event of great magnitude prevailed during the entire service. Perhaps because Sarah, Beth's sister asked while looking up at Christ on the Cross, "What happened to him".

The service eventually was carried out, Kathy and Jeff were the God parents and it was time to feast. Back we went to to the club house where Kate< Ron and Old Aunt Sarah live. There was a swimming pool for the kids and all anyone could want for food and drink. Ron and Kate were the perfect hosts, God quieted the sky's and fellowship was enjoyed by all. My only personal problem was with the cake, they had a store bought cake. Now I can say that, because my niece Kate can make the best tooth suckin cake you ever had.

Those attending were all the Polish folks from Ron's side, Grandmom Kathy and Kate and Ron's friends. From Kate's side , of which I am a part and I can elaborate more were the following. Uncle Bob and Aunt Barb did the picking up of the food from Harris Teeters. Joe Romspert was there, Cowboy Hat, boots and giant belt buckle, USMC. All the Biffs from Elkton were there except Kyle. Sharon, Dave, Elizabeth and her friend Page were down from Wilmington. Sarah, Rachael and Tommy from Fruitland, MD. Mrs. Moore and Mrs. Pringer, Liz Moore, Fran and her husband John and Amy were there. I'm sure I've missed somebody along the way. please forgive me. Oh, and Carolyn had to work.

The pictures above are Kate and Beth, the parents and God parents at the font and Old Aunt Sarah, granny to Beth, and a great family friend, Ellie.

Have a great day all.

No comments: