Thursday, November 30, 2017

Mercy

The Dalai Lama said:   "My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.”


Madame Tussauds Amsterdam - Dalai Lama.jpg
Wiki image

Quite often in life I have heard the words, “Oh Mercy Me.” Just what does this mean I ask. Well, in reading a recent book, 

"Mercy means that we no longer constantly judge everyones large and tiny failures, foolish hearts, dubious convictions, and inevitable bad behavior. We will never do this perfectly, but how do we do it better? How do we mostly hold people we've encountered with the understanding of a wise, caring mother who has seen it all, knows that we all struggle, knows that on the inside we're as vulnerable as a colony of rabbits?"  A blogger I follow used those words from Anne Lamott's new book, "Hallelujah Anyway- Rediscovering Mercy."  

That question (judgement of others,) is one I have recently been asking myself, very recently in fact. Especially when herself gives me that look. You all know what that look is, right?  _

The Oxford dictionary in it’s "Synonym Study” has this to say about Mercy:  If you want to win friends and influence people, it’s best to start with benevolence, a general term for goodwill and kindness. Charity is even better, suggesting forbearance and generous giving but also meaning tolerance and understanding of others. Compassion, which is a feeling of sympathy or sorrow for someone else’s misfortune, will put you one step closer to sainthood and showing mercy will practically guarantee it. Aside from it’s religious overtones, mercy means compassion or kindness in our treatment of others. 

Way back in 1971 Marvin Gaye wrote and sang about the Ecology and used that saying “Mercy Me.”

Whoa, oh, mercy, mercy me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be, no, no
Where did all the blue skies go?
Poison is the wind that blows from the north and south and east

Whoa, mercy, mercy me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be, no, no
Oil wasted on the oceans
And upon our seas, fish full of mercury

Oh, oh, mercy, mercy me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be, no, no
Radiation underground and in the sky
Animals and birds who live nearby are dying

Oh, mercy, mercy me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be
What about this overcrowded land?
How much more abuse from man can she stand?

Oh, no, no, no
My sweet Lord
No, no, no, no, no
My, my, my Lord
My sweet Lord     

Ecologically speaking, I get that look when I toss a recyclable in the trash can. "Oh mercy me, I've erred again."

During this season of Christmas I shall make every effort to show a little “Mercy.” I’m not looking for Sainthood, just a little compassion and kindness towards others. If I don’t get “that look,” quite so often I’ll know I’m making progress with both people and recyclables. 


May you all enjoy this Christmas season and may a bit of Mercy enter our hearts.



No comments: